Monday, January 5, 2009

BEGINNING

The beginning of a thousand mile journey begins with a single step.
___ Lao Tsu

And so it begins, the New Year that is.

As agreed, my husband and I begin serious preparations for our weight loss program, which will start formally next week. Now we're cutting back on treats and portion sizes, trying to drink more water, and keeping a record of everything we eat and drink.

Other decions are underway:

One has to do with an opportunity I began investigating at the very end of 2008--- about Herbalife and being a Weight Loss/Nutrition Coach for some of the Weight Loss Challenges about to start up locally in 2009. I have found that Coaching is also becoming a licensed distributor, and so I am going in at the MOST basic level. I will function as a Coach but will also be a participant in their 12 week classes, will use the product--- THEN decide if this is something I want to pursue over time.

Another has to do with career change and training.

I left a position this past October, shortly after my mother's death, a position which was administrative, office-bound, and dealt with paperwork--- other peoples' paperwork--- as Medical Records Coordinator for a large behavioral health network on the North Shore, for one of their Outpatient Clinics. In addition to the job being what it was, the agency had a "no raise" policy. so there was no chance of change. I was OK with this position while caring for Mom, because I had flexibility to deal with her issues and needs as necessary, but with her gone, this trade-off was no longer required.

I took a graduate class this past fall, and received an "A". But not sure I want to go that route, at my age,so I looked into short term career options, and found one to which I was very attracted: Polarity Therapy, which could be done locally, at the Palmer Institute of Massage & Bodywork. No sooner had I determined I wanted to do this, with some reservations as to whether it was consonant with my Christian faith, than conservative Christian friends alerted to me with possible spiritual dangers.

So now, I am also deciding about whether to pursue this training, or consider other options. I am currently investigating other options, but need to decide quickly about the Polarity, as the deadline for this semester is 1/8--- a decision to postpone may be necessary.

On the job search: I have an interview 1/8 for a position which very much interests and excites me--- as Volunteer Coordinator for HAWC (Help for Abused Women & Children), a well-known Domestic Violence agency!

No comments:

Post a Comment